The Krotek

Smart Shoutbox 3.0 is coming!

Just now, The Krotek said:

The link you posted in shoutbox was encoded:

https://www.e-dziewiarka.pl/sklep/włóczki/włóczki-wełniane

This is what happens with links, when you copy them in browser. If you copy this link and insert in browser, it'll work.

Yet it is somehow cut in shoutbox, no idea why. Somehow a semicolon is inserted right in the middle of a link. Super weird.

In the future, if you want to post a clean human readable link, use services like https://urldecode.org

It is the most imported thing to me. My customers very often copy links from browser and put it in the chat without success.

1 minute ago, radosc said:

And it would be perfect to be able to put this chat in narrow column. Now it doesn't look perfect on such narrow space as mobile phones.
I use to have much worse Ajax Chat but one thing was nice. First was presented nick with message time and below the main message:

This I didn't understand at all. What do you mean?

Just now, radosc said:

It is the most imported thing to me. My customers very often copy links from browser and put it in the chat without success.

Yeah, because browsers encode links. I totally hate it myself. Will see, what I can do about it.

4 minutes ago, The Krotek said:

This I didn't understand at all. What do you mean?

Exactly this. There is no place to show everything, and If the message is devided into 2 lines it might solve the problem.

1.jpg

7 minutes ago, The Krotek said:

Yeah, because browsers encode links. I totally hate it myself. Will see, what I can do about it.

It's a little bit strange that in the chat the same link is shown as "

https://www.e-dziewiarka.pl/sklep/w%C5%82%C3%B3czki/w%C5%82%C3%B3czki-we%C5%82niane"

and in this place is shown correctly: https://www.e-dziewiarka.pl/qwerty/sklep/włóczki-wełniane

2 minutes ago, radosc said:

Exactly this. There is no place to show everything, and If the message is devided into 2 lines it might solve the problem.

You're showing me a screenshot from 2.0. In 3.0 template was reworked a little and there're many options, which work per instance, not globally, like before.

4 minutes ago, radosc said:

It's a little bit strange that in the chat the same link is shown as "

https://www.e-dziewiarka.pl/sklep/w%C5%82%C3%B3czki/w%C5%82%C3%B3czki-we%C5%82niane"

and in this place is shown correctly: https://www.e-dziewiarka.pl/qwerty/sklep/włóczki-wełniane

Nothing strange at all, because this is a copied link. Like I said before, when you copy the link, browser encodes it, replacing all non-Latin characters with unicode symbols. So this is actually how you submitted it, not how it is displayed in chat.

OK, I showed you 2.0 because I can't download and test 3.0 :-)

Send me your Smart Shoutbox order number via email and I'll add a 3.0 beta to your account.

Just now, The Krotek said:

Nothing strange at all, because this is a copied link. Like I said before, when you copy the link, browser encodes this, replacing all non-Latin characters with unicode symbols. So this is actually how you submitted it, now how it is displayed in chat.

I wanted only to say that I copied link from browser and put it (the same from clipboard)  in 2 places (chat and forum). On chat is shown badly and on forum is OK

I wanted only to say that I copied link from browser and put it (the same from clipboard)  in 2 places (chat and forum). On chat is shown badly and on forum is OK

Ah, I see... Actually, it is DISPLAYED properly on forum, but the actual URL is still encoded. I can see it, if I edit your post and open a link popup window :-)

5 minutes ago, The Krotek said:

Send me your Smart Shoutbox order number via email and I'll add a 3.0 beta to your account.

it's sent

I've added Smart Shoutbox 3.0 Beta to your account and sent you a reply. Read the reply carefully and also see the change log. A lot of options were removed, added or moved to different place. It might not be easy to grasp everything right away.

I also tweaked link parser a bit. It now processes links properly and adds a few things like "target" and "rel" attributes for all external links. Yet another issues might pop, because link parsing is the most complex thing.

Hello again

I have not checked 3.0 version yet but in 2.0 I got big problem so maybe it might be solved in new version:

1) In 2.0 I don't have control over images my customers put into the chat. They can put big images about 4MB or bigger. All images are stored on server in "public_html/media/smartshoutbox/".  Images take lot space so I removed the older. After a while my server become overloaded and was killed (my server is strong and dedicated for me). I didn't know what happened but I resized deleted images and uploaded them back again on server. Server started working properly again. I think joomla couldn't find deleted images and this is why the problem appeard.

Conlusion:

- There is a problem with big images in chat (too much space is taken)

- It would be nice in 3 version to have possibility to resize images on flight in order to save space and the server bandwidth

Radek

14 minutes ago, radosc said:

- There is a problem with big images in chat (too much space is taken)

Well, it's not a problem of chat, it's a problem of users, who upload huge images. They also can upload videos, they probably just don't know it yet :-)

15 minutes ago, radosc said:

- It would be nice in 3 version to have possibility to resize images on flight in order to save space and the server bandwidth

I definitely won't implement this, because it will greatly slow down the processing of shouts and might produce a lot of new issues. Smart Shoutbox is already complex enough and I avoid adding unnecessary options. Plus this extension was never meant to be used as live support chat, it has absolutely different purpose.

Anyway, you can simply clean old shouts with cron and delete orphaned images, if you don't need to keep all the chat history. This will keep your database and disc space healthy.

By the way, you need to run cron to clean orphaned files anyway, because user can upload several files without submitting shout and they all be left on the server. The only way to remove them is to run cron periodically.

I try to disable the global chat button in the module but I do not know how. With 2.0 I could. Is this normal or is it me?
The only thing I found is in the component options. (Chat Buttons) I only activated the smileys and refresh buttons but it does not change anything. The "Global Chat" still there.