The Krotek

Smart Shoutbox 3.0 is coming!

As you probably already know, we're currently working on version 3.0 of one of our most popular extensions - Smart Shoutbox. A lot of changes will be made, most of them - under the hood. Extension will be a lot more stable and easier to manage.

In this topic we encourage you to share your ideas and report bugs. Please, read the list of already implemented or planned features and suggest your own.

Implemented features

• External database support for cross-site chatting.
  • Shout text parsing is moved to separate plugins. Shouts are now saved in database "as is" with only some basic cleaning.
  • Event for shout text parsing plugins. You can now add your own parsing functionality to Smart Shoutbox.
  • Event for custom shoutbox window buttons. Chat button is now added via plugin as an example.
  • Event for custom columns. Reply column is now added via plugin as an example.
  • Filters on chat page to filter shouts by author name, message text and date. Filters replace archive.
  • All information for current user (last shout, author name, settings) is saved in cookies, which should improve chatting experience.
  • Ordering option for categories to sort them in the shoutbox on front-end.
  • Categories can now be assigned to selected user groups only.
  • Improved IP-address detection.
  • Support for K2 Users in User Profiles option.
  • Profanity filter replaced with Words Filter plugin and now has a Whitelist option to exclude nice words from filtering.
  • WYSIWYG editor can now be turned on/off for any Shoutbox instance, including modules.
  • Smileys tooltip is now scrollable, smaller in size and shows only first few smileys at once, not all of them.
  • Shout input field replaced with textarea, which can be resized automatically or manually.
  • Full RTL (right-to-left) support for applicable languages.
  • Lots and lots of bugs fixed. Most important ones are listed in change log.

Postponed features

• Private chatting.
  • Option to mute selected user.
  • Per user settings on front-end: select smiley set, set date format, change shout ordering and more.

Full list of currently implemented features, fixed bugs and changes can be found in change log.

You can test all new features right on our site, we implement them in live mode!

Hi

Smartshoutbox is a very good chat but if you ask me how to improve it I can say:

I think most improvements  was taken under consideration after my reports but it would be nice to see next in new version.

- input box could be flexible (possible to widen) in order to see all written text especially in narrow webpage column.

- In narrow column (less than 500px or so) there is a problem with the space for every presented items so maybe the username, time should go in first line and shout in second line like this:

user 12.05.2017 11:00
bla bla blafvsdfgdfgdf

- I don't need avatars at all and there is a lack option to turn it off.

- sometimes customer open 2 web pages in 2 browser tabs (there is smartshoutbox module on each web page). Smartshoutbox is refreshing automaticly only in one browser tab

- In WYSIWYG editor I can't jump the word using CTRL+arrow like in other editors in Windows.

- On mobile with narrow screen I can't see the username, so in option I have to change the width of mobiles but the it looks strange. Dividing username and shouts into 2 lines might be a better solution

- links in shouts are not proper when adress includes Polish chars (https://www.e-dziewiarka.pl/aktualnosci/5-firmowe/news/5172-wyjątkowa-traumseide-włóczką-tygodnia)

So i think it's all but I still keep test it.

Radek

I forgot. It would be nice to be able to edit posted shout within particular time, for example within 2 minutes. Sometimes there is a need to edit post because of spell mistakes.

Radek

1 hour ago, radosc said:

- input box could be flexible (possible to widen) in order to see all written text especially in narrow webpage column.

It can't be wider, but could be resizable, if I replace input field with textarea. However, there's a textarea out there already and it's replaced with WYSIWYG editor. I need to think on the matter and find out, how to do this in a most harmless way.

2 hours ago, radosc said:

- In narrow column (less than 500px or so) there is a problem with the space for every presented items so maybe the username, time should go in first line and shout in second line like this:

You can hide columns with CSS, when window width lower than 500px or any other number (it's 450px actually). There will not be a second line, because one shout is a one table row. This is the best and most stable layout. Anyway, in 3.0 columns will be customizable from admin.

- I don't need avatars at all and there is a lack option to turn it off.

In 3.0 columns will be customizable from admin.

- In WYSIWYG editor I can't jump the word using CTRL+arrow like in other editors in Windows.

There will be a new editor in 3.0. Old one will be removed completely.

- sometimes customer open 2 web pages in 2 browser tabs (there is smartshoutbox module on each web page). Smartshoutbox is refreshing automaticly only in one browser tab

That's absolutely normal, because Smart Shoutbox never intended to be used in multiple browser windows. But I'll see, what I can do about it.

- On mobile with narrow screen I can't see the username, so in option I have to change the width of mobiles but the it looks strange. Dividing username and shouts into 2 lines might be a better solution

You can't display everything on mobile version, because mobile versions are always limited due to dimension restrictions. Like I mentioned above, there will not be a second line, but you'll be able to hide unnecessary columns. For example, you can leave only Username and Text in mobile and turn off the rest. You can do this right now as well, but using CSS only. Any column can be hidden or made shorter/wider.

- links in shouts are not proper when adress includes Polish chars (https://www.e-dziewiarka.pl/aktualnosci/5-firmowe/news/5172-wyjątkowa-traumseide-włóczką-tygodnia)

This issue was related to all non-Latin links and has already been fixed.

It would be nice to be able to edit posted shout within particular time, for example within 2 minutes. Sometimes there is a need to edit post because of spell mistakes.

You already can edit shouts and not just in 2 minutes, but anytime you want. Yet a time limitation for Edit Own shouts might be a good idea.

On 12.05.2017 at 2:34 PM, radosc said:

I believe, I've fixed this. Try to reproduce it on our server and see, how it works now. Should be good.

UPDATE

• ADDED: Filters on chat page to filter shouts by author name, message text and date. Filters replace archive.
  • ADDED: Full RTL (right-to-left) support for applicable languages.
  • ADDED: Custom window buttons support via plugins. Chat button is now added via plugin as an example. You can easily create and add your own buttons with custom links and actions.
  • ADDED: Custom columns support via plugins. Reply column is now added via plugin as an example. You can easily create and add your own columns with custom content.
  • ADDED: Scrollbar for smileys tooltip. It is now smaller and shows only first few smileys at once, not all of them.
  • CHANGED: Shout input field replaced with textarea, which can be resized automatically or manually.

On ‎08‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 7:38 PM, The Krotek said:

So, I assume. nobody's having any issue with Smart Shoutbox 3.0 beta? :-)

Hi. Ones I come back from holidays I will try to find something ?

Hi

I tested for 3 minutes and I found some issues.

To be able to send next message I had to reload page.    (19.07.2017, 11:38)    
Vaughn    the same is with sending message by icon. Ok I noticed that my message popped up after a minute or so.    (19.07.2017, 11:37)    
Vaughn    another issue: when I send message by Ctrl+Enter I can't see my message. I have to reload page.    (19.07.2017, 11:34)    
Vaughn    ok. My username is radosc so why I'm visible as Vaughn?    (19.07.2017, 11:32)    
Vaughn    Hi. In last version I had to change sound icon because it was put upside down so the louder icon sounded quieter. Now it's hard to test it at your website because it works when somebody else writes something.

Radek

1 hour ago, radosc said:

To be able to send next message I had to reload page.    (19.07.2017, 11:38)    

No, you don't. It appears the same way as before.

1 hour ago, radosc said:

Vaughn    another issue: when I send message by Ctrl+Enter I can't see my message. I have to reload page.    (19.07.2017, 11:34)    

No, you don't need to reload. Tested it a billion times. It looks like your connection to our server is super bad and there's a delay.

1 hour ago, radosc said:

Vaughn    ok. My username is radosc so why I'm visible as Vaughn?    (19.07.2017, 11:32)    

When you first open our site, you were a guest and name was created for you automatically. All information is now saved in cookies and every cookie has a priority. Basically, the priority order is the following: cookie, profile, random name. So just change your name back and it'll be saved in cookie and taken from there.

1 hour ago, radosc said:

Vaughn    Hi. In last version I had to change sound icon because it was put upside down so the louder icon sounded quieter. Now it's hard to test it at your website because it works when somebody else writes something.

This I didn't understand at all. What do you mean under "out upside down"? Nothing is put upside down.

And if you want to test a sound, you just need to open two tabs with Smart Shoutbox. It now works this way, as promised.

Hi

1) I logout and login as "radosc" and still I'm visible as "Vaughn". I understand that data are kept in cookies but I think it's a litlle bit strange.

2) I put message and again it appeard after 1 minute. My connection is quite fast as in attached file

3) Sometimes I can't send next message without reloading page.

4) Sound icon is with 1 line when it sounds loudly and with 3 lines when is quiet. It should be reverted.

test.jpg

5 hours ago, radosc said:

1) I logout and login as "radosc" and still I'm visible as "Vaughn". I understand that data are kept in cookies but I think it's a litlle bit strange.

It's absolutely not. It is made to keep the name, when user changes it, and don't reset it every session, like it was before.

2) I put message and again it appeard after 1 minute. My connection is quite fast as in attached file

3) Sometimes I can't send next message without reloading page.

OK, I tried it with Chrome and it fails, indeed. You really should've mentioned the browser before, because I use Firefox only. Weird, that Chrome fails though, because there's small JavaScript error (undefined variable) and Firefox handles it without any error messages. Anyway, the issue was already fixed, should be working good now.

4) Sound icon is with 1 line when it sounds loudly and with 3 lines when is quiet. It should be reverted.

No, it shouldn't because 1 line TURNS OFF, 3 lines TURNS ON. It's not a sound volume indicator, it's a BUTTON. Imagine, there's a text instead of icons: Disable (1 line), Enable (3 lines). Even Font Awesome icons are called correspondingly "volume-down" and "volume-up"!

Just to make it clear about cookies. Short version: everything is now saved in cookies with expiration date of one year from now. This is made to ensure, that last shout is indeed last, that sound will not suddenly start working and that the name your want to use will remain the same. Cookies are per browser, of course, not for device.

Like I said, before, priority is simple: cookies - profile - random name. If you disallow users to change their names, name from profile will always be taken for registered users no matter what. But if you allow to change the name, cookies will always have a priority.

Imagine, that some user opened a site with Smart Shoutbox and started chatting as a guest under Cool Dude name. Then he decides to register and his profile name is Bad Dude. Next day he decides that it's a bad name and changes it to Not Even a Dude. So basically he now has 3 different names, but no matter if he forgets to login or changes his name, he will always remain Cool Dude in chat. That's the beauty of it! He can change it to any name he wants and it'll also remain with him forever.

Having anything besides cookies as a primary check will ruin the flow. Every guest user will loose his name after login, all his previous shouts will become unrecognizable and so on.

# 1 : A guest can send as many messages as he / she wants but he / she must refresh the page after each message.

# 2 : A registered member can not send a message. When the member click on "send button", nothing happens and the "send button" remains on "wait"
So by instinct, we refresh the page and we get this error message: # 1146 Table 'tiburnco_jos1. # __ smartshoutbox_users' does not exist
And if a member sends a message, nobody can later.

All this on a website created with the latest Joomla version and the Beez3 template

My PHP version is the latest version 7.1.
Everything tested with Google Chrome
No components, plugins or modules installed on the Test site.

To test the shoutbox: http://tiburn.com/Test-joomla/

And if you want to test in backend, you have the infos by e-mail.
I'm even ready to give you the info of my CPanel if you want.

I have not made any false movements or broken my site because it's a test web site. Installed only to test your Beta version.

Thanks again. 

Sorry for my english and i'm not a good site manager, so thanks for your patience.

After installed the new beta version, we have to refresh after each messages. So, my reply was not Outdated. Test by your self to my test web site !
I have deleted cache on chrome and into the web site.

Google chrome

Thanks

Tested, works perfectly on your site for me. Clean the cache again, and again, and again. Use Ctrl + F5 to refresh. Multiple times.

The link you posted in shoutbox was encoded:

https://www.e-dziewiarka.pl/sklep/w%C5%82%C3%B3czki/w%C5%82%C3%B3czki-we%C5%82niane

This is what happens with links, when you copy them in browser. If you copy this link and insert in browser, it'll work.

Yet it is somehow cut in shoutbox, no idea why. Somehow a semicolon is inserted right in the middle of a link. Super weird.

In the future, if you want to post a clean human readable link, use services like https://urldecode.org. I always use it myself.

And it would be perfect to be able to put this chat in narrow column. Now it doesn't look perfect on such narrow space as mobile phones.
I use to have much worse Ajax Chat but one thing was nice. First was presented nick with message time and below the main message:

radosc 21.07 14:10
bla bla blaaaaa