soccrdad30

A few ideas for Smart Shoutbox

5 posts in this topic

Just purchased Smart Shoutbox last week and I have been testing it out for my site.  No big issues, learning as I go.  I have had chat apps on my site for the past 7 years and Smart Shoutbox is replacing Kide Pro Chat that I have now.

Is there a way to retain the text color/font size that the user can select?  Currently you have to highlight the text to change the color/font size, and you have to do this every time you send a message.

Is there a way to chat privately with another user?  I know you can address another user, but that is not private.

Thanks, John.

4 hours ago, soccrdad30 said:

Is there a way to retain the text color/font size that the user can select?  Currently you have to highlight the text to change the color/font size, and you have to do this every time you send a message.

I'm not sure I understood this correctly. Could you, please, explain it a bit more?

4 hours ago, soccrdad30 said:

Is there a way to chat privately with another user?  I know you can address another user, but that is not private.

This feature will be available in 3.0. Private shouts will be displayed in the same tab, but visible only to sender and recipient. I'm planning to add an additional button and /private switch.

Great to hear about having a private chat in a future update/upgrade.

I have multiple users that like to select their own font color when they are in the chat room.  This way as long as they stay in chat, all of their messages will stay the color they selected (or until they change colors again).  So when I log into chat I select 'Blue' as my text color and all of my messages stay in 'Blue'.  Not only is this a personal preference, but it helps to visually separate my messages from others.

One other question.  In chat options I selected 'Community Builder' for the user profiles.  I am on Community Builder 2.1.2.  We are getting a '500 error' when clicking on the Community Building Avatar in chat.  Do you know how I can fix this?

Thank you, John

11 minutes ago, soccrdad30 said:

I have multiple users that like to select their own font color when they are in the chat room.  This way as long as they stay in chat, all of their messages will stay the color they selected (or until they change colors again).  So when I log into chat I select 'Blue' as my text color and all of my messages stay in 'Blue'.  Not only is this a personal preference, but it helps to visually separate my messages from others.

This one isn't planned at all, sorry. Shoutbox is usually a simplified version of chat and this feature will require saving user color somewhere in database, doing additional checks etc. For now I'd prefer to keep things simple.

But you can colorize usernames via CSS, if you wish. The same way it's made on out site. It also looks pretty distinctive and you can easily tell, whether message came from admin or generic user. Not user specific, of course, but still nice, I think.

25 minutes ago, soccrdad30 said:

One other question.  In chat options I selected 'Community Builder' for the user profiles.  I am on Community Builder 2.1.2.  We are getting a '500 error' when clicking on the Community Building Avatar in chat.  Do you know how I can fix this?

CB 2.1.2 is the latest. I didn't test it with it. Will check later and fix in 3.0 for sure.

UPDATE

Oh, I completely forgot, that in 3.0 text processing will be done via plugins. For example, profanity filter will be moved to plugin, which you'll have to install, if you wish to forbid obscene words. Same way you'll be able to colorize text. If you have a developer or can code yourself, you can write a plugin for that, using text processing events.

While working on 3.0 I've tested it with the latest CB and it works perfectly. Error 500 is a database error and it happens, when you load a user by clicking its link from chat. So it looks like the issue is not related to Smart Shoutbox at all.

Anyway, I've changed the behavior. Both link and avatar are now generated via Community Builder API.