The Online Ministore

Duplicate messages showing

Sometimes when the smartshoutbox is open, some shouts are showing twice, today a shout showed 4 times (see attached image)
After refreshing the page, the shouts that were duplicated now only appear once, as they should.
The problem appears to be when the user is watching or using the chat.

How can we resolve this?

Joomla 3.5.1
smartshoutbox 2.9.2

chat-duplicates.jpg

It's a known issue and right now we don't know, what causes it. Might not even be related to Shoutbox extension, because it happens very randomly. Most likely it's a connection issue, because shouts are duplicated only on automatic refresh, when database is queried for new shouts.

Unfortunately, this can't be fixed completely, because it's simply impossible due to the nature of the error. Duplicates still happen, but very rarely. I see them from time to time, but not much. And it's always only 2 messages, not four like on your picture.

So definitely things became better in this part. The workflow is reworked pretty good.

I see them from time to time, but not much. And it's always only 2 messages, not four like on your picture.

surely not, we had the problem in the old version, and now its pretty more boring. 2 duplicates are usual, 3-4 comes somtime. 5 was our maximum.
especially, if more than one member are online. and in this version, we regonized, there is a big lag, if you do 2 posts at once. the first 3 letters of the first word will cut off. also boring.

the update was a reduction of the features (archive). the archive is gone, and the filter is not useful, because scrolling of new messages kill your reading flow.
and you have to clear the filter after you used it.

sure, for this few bucks, its not the badest thing, but we spend so much time in this tool, to clear the probs, a soloution 4 ourself would be cheaper, sorry!

i hope, you reconsider your statement: 

Unfortunately, this can't be fixed completely, because it's simply impossible due to the nature of the error.

If you cant fix it completly, dont sell it!

32 minutes ago, isidor wunder said:

surely not, we had the problem in the old version, and now its pretty more boring. 2 duplicates are usual, 3-4 comes somtime. 5 was our maximum.

Problem isn't with extension, but with server connection, I already told you that. I saw similar issue with some Brazilian guy, who had a server in some University or so. It worked VERY slow and duplicates were all over due to this.

32 minutes ago, isidor wunder said:

especially, if more than one member are online. and in this version, we regonized, there is a big lag, if you do 2 posts at once. the first 3 letters of the first word will cut off. also boring.

There's no lag in Smart Shoutbox and there can't be any by design. Lag is a connection issue, nothing else can lag.

Shouts are NEVER cut, if you don't set Shout Length option in settings. If they're cut, this means, that your connection to server constantly breaks, which produces unpredictable behaviour and loss of data. There's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

34 minutes ago, isidor wunder said:

the update was a reduction of the features (archive). the archive is gone, and the filter is not useful, because scrolling of new messages kill your reading flow.
and you have to clear the filter after you used it.

Filters are much better in many ways. If you don't like it, well... sorry for that. Some people like filters much more than old clumsy archive. It's not possible to satisfy every customer, unfortunately.

Actually, problem's not with filters, but with your way of using them. If you want to have something like archive, create new menu item, increase height of shouts window and you'll basically get the same Archive page, as before. But now you have LIVE archive, which updates shouts automatically as well as chat page. And these shouts are already filtered, you don't have to refresh the page and so on.

So no, I don't think filters are not useful. They're very useful and much better than archive. Just try to play with them a little more, change settings and eventually you get used to them. Old archive will not be back anyway.

35 minutes ago, isidor wunder said:

If you cant fix it completly, dont sell it!

Please, avoid such assessments in the future. You're definitely not a professional developer and have no idea, how things work. What you do now, is trying to blame extension in every issue you see. But this is a very, very bad practice. The only thing you will achieve with this is bad relations with developer. If you don't want this, don't blame developer and try to listen to him. I am not your enemy and if I'm telling you, that there're certain things that can't be fixed, because problem isn't with extension, just accept it as fact.

Chats and shoutboxes require some resources and not every server can handle them. If you have a lot of visitors and want to use self-hosting chatting software, you need to have a better hosting plan.

And a few words about nature of duplicates, so you could understand the issue better.

When you make shout, it's not just added to database, but also undergoing some processing. Basic filtering and cleaning mostly, but it takes time. Since all operations are fast on the server, it takes only a few milliseconds.

Additionally, there's a check for previous shout contents and if they're the same, an error will pop. If you didn't enable Allow Duplicates in settings, same shout will never be published.

In your case check for the previous shout fails, because previous shout is not actually added This may happen, because connection is interrupted and then restored. So in the end you have two similar requests made to your server almost at the same time. The more interruptions you have, the more duplicates will be displayed, because check for the same shout fails.

And the more people are using your chat, the more chances for connection to be interrupted due to multiple requests, which lead to server overload. The latter depends solely on your server limitations and performance. Maybe you have some kind of limitation for number of requests, maybe your requests are fine, but database server responds slowly, maybe something else. It's really hard to say.

Anyway, there's absolutely nothing that can be done in Smart Shoutbox to avoid this. I already did everything I could, including check for previous shout contents. The workflow wasn't that bad in previous version and in 3.0 it's much, much better. The only way is to trace this issue on your server using some server tools and find out, why connection is interrupted.

I hope this will make sense to you.

come on mate!

the box runs on a dedicated server in germany, that we hosting by ourself. 
the server can handle 100 pages, and there is only one with your shoutbox.

all works fine, your shoutbox not. 

nobody blame you, you blame yourself with your argumentation.
there is no cause to be snot-nosed to me. 

1 minute ago, isidor wunder said:

all works fine, your shoutbox not. 

You have multiple chatting software on your server? If you don't, please, don't compare, because chatting software is different.

1 minute ago, isidor wunder said:

nobody blame you, you blame yourself with your argumentation.

My argumentation is quite correct. I've tried to explain you, what can be the problem. Unfortunately you keep blaming me for the issue instead of looking, what can be wrong on your server.

Smart Shotubox runs perfectly on many sites with VPS, no duplicates at all. So again, problem's not with extension.

we dont have multiple chats running. but we tested few solutions.
yours looks pretty best, so we decided for this, and there is also no discussion by us about pricing or else. we wanted a solution, that works.

the messages will vanish, if you use the reload-button, so i cant understand your suggestion about the "allow duplicate "-switch. 

about your argumentation of sql, following the munin:

mysql_queries-day.png

On 8/31/2017 at 10:16 AM, isidor wunder said:

the messages will vanish, if you use the reload-button, so i cant understand your suggestion about the "allow duplicate "-switch. 

Of course, you can't understand, because you didn't say, that after hitting Refresh duplicates disappear, and all the way I was talking the duplicates in database - the only issue with duplicates I encountered before. Actually, you provided zero information about the issue besides "boring" and some unwanted lecture on how I should sell my products. Try to provide details of the issue instead next time and you might get better response.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:16 AM, isidor wunder said:

about your argumentation of sql, following the munin:

You chart means zero to me. Please, DO NOT provide useless info in the future, only attach screenshots, basic system info and error messages. If any additional info is required, I'll ask you myself, otherwise it only brings confusion.

Currently your issue still seems related to connection (client-server, I think), not to Smart Shoutbox. Give me a link to your Smart Shoutbox page and provide steps to reproduce the issue. I'll try to send a few test shouts and might give you a hint on what's wrong. If I won't be able to reproduce the issue, then it is definitely connection issue and I can't do anything about it. However you may still try to find a pattern, when duplicates happen, and give me steps to reproduce again. But for now just give me a link and make sure I'm able to send shouts.