Smart Shoutbox 2.4.3
Full-featured Joomla chat component and module, which can be used as standalone shoutbox or IP.Shoutbox mirror. Definitely the best Joomla chat extension for now, not doubts.
- Choose chat type: Joomla (default) or IP.Board Shoutbox.
- A lot of customization options like shout or member name lenght, show or hide avatars, etc.
- Supported avatar providers: Joomla Contacts, JomSocial, CommunityBuilder, Kunena, Gravatar, EasySocial, K2, AlphaUserPoints (more can be added by your request).
- Automatically or manually refresh chat window.
- Flood control and extra permission checks to avoid spamming.
- Customizable text parser with URL shortener. NEW!
- Replace images with neat thumbnails and lightbox. NEW!
- Replace videos with links and lightbox or with embedded player. NEW!
- Supported video providers: YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, MetaCafe (more can be added by your request). NEW!
- Ban or unban members from chat (do not affect the rest of your site). NEW!
- AutoShouter plugin, which adds predefined shouts to SmartShoutbox.
- Shouts Journal to manage shouts, Smileys Manager to manage smileys and Banned Journal to manage banned members.
- Automatically delete shouts older, than X days.
2.4.4 (upcoming release)
- ADDED: Shouts now stripped from potentially dangerous tags like SCRIPT, APPLET, EMBED, etc.
- FIXED: Access check for admin pages in Joomla 2.5 doesn't work properly.
- Minor bug fixes and CSS tweaks.
- ADDED: On the main Shoutbox page shouts now can be edited in WYSIWYG editor.
- ADDED: Permissions to restrict Shoutbox content management in back-end.
- ADDED: New version checker on extension's back-end main page.
- FIXED: Possible SQL errors during extension's setup.
- ADDED: Extra checks for empty values to avoid unwanted errors.
- ADDED: Neat "loading" image to indicate processing requests.
- FIXED: Multiple errors, when Smart Shoutbox module and component are on the same page (why do you even put them this way?).
- FIXED: Wrong shout time display. Now it follows personal (for registered users) or general (for guests) settings.
- FIXED: Undefined error message, when shoutbox refresh is interrupted. At last!
- Increased compatibility with other extensions.
- Minor fixes and tweaks, some CSS classes changed.
- ADDED: Extra checks for empty name or message.
- FIXED: Incompatibility with some other extensions.
- FIXED: Some AJAX requests returned bad data in non-standard situations.
- FIXED: Wrong path to smileys, when added via editor.
- FIXED: Wrong page heading display.
- Some small bug fixes and CSS tweaks.
- ADDED: Customizable text parser.
- ADDED: Gravatar support.
- ADDED: URL shortener for all links (except images and videos) in shouts.
- ADDED: Images can be added as text links or thumbnails with lightbox.
- ADDED: Videos can be added as text links with lightbox or embedded player.
- ADDED: An option to turn on/off random name generator for guests (generic Guest name will be used if Off).
- ADDED: An option to turn on/off announcement above shouts list.
- ADDED: An option to ban/unban chat members (if permissions set) with logging.
- ADDED: Shout likes are now available for IP.Shoutbox as well (permissions are not applicable).
- ADDED: WYSIWYG editor for shouts in back-end.
- FIXED: Wrong image links, when avatar was not set by user in chosen avatar source.
- FIXED: Adding names and smileys not working properly on main Shoutbox page with editor.
- FIXED: Empty shout can be posted from main Shoutbox page.
- FIXED: Compatibility issues with some other extensions.
- FIXED: Minor permission issues.
- Some code optimization, increased security and stability.
- New "flat" and more generic layout.
- ADDED: Rich-text editor on main Shoutbox page.
- ADDED: Shout from rich-text editor can be submitted on Ctrl + Enter.
- ADDED: Allow, disallow or limit use of HTML-tags in shouts.
- ADDED: Shouts list now scrolls to top upon new shout.
- FIXED: Guest editing and deleting of own shouts.
- FIXED: Incorrect paths to images, sounds etc.
- FIXED: Incorrect parsing of links with non-Latin letters.
- ADDED: AutoShouter plugin, which adds predefined shouts to SmartShoutbox.
- ADDED: Links and images embedding.
- ADDED: EasySocial avatars support.
- ADDED: Sound and page title notification on new shouts.
- ADDED: Protection from accidental double-clicks on buttons (Send, Refresh, Confirm etc.).
- FIXED: Broken links to some images.
- FIXED: Smileys not properly parsed on shout add or edit.
- FIXED: Error 500 when not installed avatar component selected.
- FIXED: Guests not able to like shouts from other guests.
- Minor layout tweaks.
- ADDED: Clickable smileys!
- ADDED: Shout editing form can now be submitted on Ctrl + Enter.
- ADDED: Chat announcement can now be changed right from the chat window (Joomla chat only).
- ADDED: Like button and rating for shouts (Joomla chat only).
- FIXED: Avatar and profile links for IP.Shoutbox now correctly displayed after refresh.
- FIXED: Config array "Undefined" error in prepareShout() function.
- Better shouts list and window layout.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.
- ADDED: Shouts journal, where you can edit or remove shouts.
- ADDED: Smileys manager, where you can quickly edit, remove or disable smileys.
- Some small bug fixes and CSS tweaks.
- FIXED: Guests now can set their own names or use generated ones.
- FIXED: Minor Joomla 2.5 errors.
- Some small bug fixes and CSS tweaks.
- Completely new extension concept: now it's a component, not just a module.
- Separate Chat page added. Can be used alongside with module or without it.
- Joomla Chat support added alongside with IP.Shoutbox.
- Shouts now can be edited and deleted, if user has permission for that.
- Avatar type option added to select avatars from JomSocial, CB etc.
- Flood control option added.
- Autoprune shouts via cron added.
- A lot of bug fixes and code optimization.
Different chat types
Smart Shoutbox is the only extension, which not just works as a standalone Joomla chat, but also supports IP.Board Shoutbox. IP.Board is the best and most popular forum engine. A lot of sites with Joomla use it for the needs of their community and many of them have IP.Board Shoutbox installed as well. Choose which suits you best.
Full control right from front-end
You don't need to go to administration panel each time you want to delete or edit shout or ban a pesky member. Everything can be done at front-end, right from shoutbox window. You just need to set up corresponding permissions in component options.
Customizable text parser
You control, which content to parse on shout submit: empty paragraphs, multiple breaks, links, images, etc. You can even choose, how do you want to parse image or video links — as links or as thumnails or embedded player. This feature will be expanded in future updates.
Fully configurable layout with tons of options
Smart Shoutbox has a pretty generic yet modern layout out of the box. It will fit most of today's templates, but if you don't like it or some of its parts, there's a class for each and every element out there. Using included CSS or custom CSS file of your template you can adjust literally everything according to your liking. There's not limitations at all.
Why is it better, than other similar extensions?
Compatibility: 2.5 & 3.0
All payments are absolutely safe and secure. Please, read the list of most popular questions below, before you ask for support. It'll save all of us some time. I don't know, how to setup your extension! Nothing works! I don't have PayPal or credit card. Can I pay you some other way? How can I re-download purchased extensions? I have a custom template. Will your extension fit it? Will you help me adjust layout of your to my template? Are there any better extensions than yours? I have an idea and want to share it... Please, read the instructions below before enabling this extension. It was tested a thousand times and we assure you, it DOES work.
You'll be able to download this extension immediately after the payment.
Frequently asked questions
This is why we, developers, usually write instructions. You'll find them at the bottom of this page.
No, we only accept payments via PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover.
Just login with your credentials and select My Orders from Profile dropdown menu at the top.
It can not, but we'll gladly help you with this. Just send us a tell.
We don't do any styling or templating, however all out extensions are highly customizable and can be adjusted to any template via CSS.
Sure, feel free to tell us, what's on your mind. However we can't guarantee you, that your idea will be accepted right away.
All payments are absolutely safe and secure.
Please, read the list of most popular questions below, before you ask for support. It'll save all of us some time.
I don't know, how to setup your extension! Nothing works!
I don't have PayPal or credit card. Can I pay you some other way?
How can I re-download purchased extensions?
I have a custom template. Will your extension fit it?
Will you help me adjust layout of your to my template?
Are there any better extensions than yours?
I have an idea and want to share it...
Please, read the instructions below before enabling this extension. It was tested a thousand times and we assure you, it DOES work.
Step 1: Installation and settings
Nothing complex here. Just install, choose chat type, set corresponding options and create Chat menu link. You can also display a chat module on desired pages. Note, that module has no settings — they all being inherited from component.
For this chat type you have to set up parameters and permissions for every group.
For this chat type all chat settings and group permissions are taken from IP.Shoutbox. Users must have active account in Joomla and IP.Board with the same email or they will be treated as guests.
Don't forget to read hints for fields in settings — they are very helpful.
Step 2: Usage
Shouts Journal is your main place to manage all shouts. Here you can edit or remove selected shouts or clean shout database completely. Nothing complex here: just choose the desired option and do what you want.
You can add as much smiley sets as you want. Just create a folder in /components/com_smartshoutbox/asses/smileys and copy some files there (JPG, PNG or GIF). To remove smileys from list use Smileys page in admin or simply delete them using FTP. To add smileys to desired set, copy new files to corresponding folder and they'll be automatically inserted in database next time you visit Smileys page.
HINT: For better compatibility and easier access give all your smiley images simple names according to their emotions: angry.png, smile.png, sad.png etc. Filename will be taken as basic smiley placeholder: :angry:, :smile:, :sad: etc. For each smiley you will also be able to set 2 custom placeholders.
Shouts date and time
All shouts in database have server time. If user is guest, shouts will have general time offset, set in Joomla global configuration. Registered users MUST setup timezone in their settings to have local time display in shouts. Otherwise, general time offset will be taken.
If you want to automatically prune shouts in given days, you must set up a following cron job:
lynx -source "http://yoursite.com/index.php?option=com_smartshoutbox&task=prune&secret=XXX"
Where XXX is a secret code, which will be available in component settings.
If you don't wont to receive any reports, put this command at the end of the above string:
The rest is pretty much common and simple.
Step 3: Enjoy